Python has become one of the most popular programming languages in the world in recent years. Python is an open-source programming language that is easy to learn, versatile and has a huge library of pre-built code and tools.
Developers use Python in everything from machine learning, to web development and software development. Python is the most popular programming language for data scientists and an essential part of data science.
What is Python?
Python is a high-level programming language used for general-purpose software development. Python supports object oriented, structured, and functional programming instances.
Python is an open-sourced language, and has in recent years increased significantly in popularity due to its use in data science. In fact, Python is considered the number one language for data science.
In addition, Python is developed based on the English language, with the intention of eliminating unnecessary syntax to make it easier to read and write and a simple programming language to get started with and learn quickly.
Why learn Python? 6 reasons to start programming in Python
Python Developers are in high demand tech professionals today. Regardless if Python is a hobby, passion, or way to level up your career, here are 6 reasons to learn programming in Python
01. Python is Easy to learn and Beginner-friendly
Python has a simple syntax and is easy to understand and learn. The learning curve of Python is shorter than that of any other language, such as for example, Java, C, C++, etc.
Python was created with the aim of minimising the complexity and keeping only the necessary.
02. Python is Versatile
Python has multiple uses, to name a couple of its most common uses include: Data Mining, Data Science, AI, Machine Learning, Web Development, Embedded Systems, Game development, Network development, Product development, Testing, Automation Scripting, and the list goes on. I think you get what I’m trying to say here; Python is extremely versatile and can be used for a wide range of applications.
03. Python has a huge collection of libraries
One of the reasons why Python is popular among developers is that it has a large collection of libraries that users can work with. Libraries are collections of pre-written code in a certain programming language that anybody can access and use. It contains bundles of code that can be used repeatedly in different programs.
After you’ve grasped the fundamentals of Python, you’ll be able to comprehend and utilise a lot of code created by other programmers. It makes Python Programming simpler and convenient for you as a Python programmer.
04. Python is the fastest growing programming language
According to the PYPL PopularitY of Programming Language Index Python is the most-searched programming language on the internet. Additionally, Stackoverflow.com shows Python as the fastest growing major programming language when measuring the number of visitors vs. questions about a certain topic
05. Python has an active community
When you are facing any Python coding-related, or Data Science issues, you can always seek guidance and help from the Python community. Since it is an open-source language, developers and coders regularly contribute to improving the language with new tools and libraries.
06. Python developers are in high demand
Resulting from the high growth, Python programmers are in high demand. LinkedIn ranks Python as one of the most in-demand programming languages. Python language provides several job opportunities and several of the big and renowned companies use Python for their development.
Summary: 6 reasons why you should learn Python
If we summarise the above, 6 reasons you should consider learning Python
What is Python used for? 5 use cases
Python is renowned for its broad range of use cases, here are 5 use cases to give you a glimpse of what Python can do
1. Data Science
In addition, Python is easy to learn so regardless of background, a data scientist can easily get started.
2. Web Development
3. Software Development
4. Web Scraping
5. Internet of Things (IoT)
Why use Python for Data Science?
Why are so many data scientists going with Python over other programming languages? Let’s have a closer look at Python in Data Science. Here are 5 reasons why Python is so popular in Data Science
- Readability and Simplicity: Python syntax is easy to follow and write. Python is intuitive and straightforward which makes it easy to get started and readable.
- Libraries and Tools: Python has an extensive set of powerful libraries and tools that makes working with data really easy. Hence, a data scientist can use a lot of great code created by other developers. You don’t need to know how the library works, just how you can use it to solve your problem. Pandas is a Python that deserves a special mention as Pandas is such an essential tool for Data Scientists. Pandas helps you to clean and alter your data but also to analyse the data.
- Machine Learning: Python is among the programming languages most preferred for Machine Learning because of its simple syntax and its support of several machine learning libraries.
- Community Support: Python has an active community, and many people use Python to utilize Data Science, so you already have active support to turn to if you get stuck – reach out to fellow data scientists in one of the many communities. Python developers are often very helpful and friendly.
- Data Visualisations: Python provides various libraries that come with different features for visualising data. Matplotlib in Python is the most basic library for visualising data graphically.
What is the future of Python for Data Science?
Python’s popularity will only continue to grow as the use of data science and the number of data scientists continue to grow, hence, the use of Python for data science will inevitably continue to grow. Several of the top companies use Python today and have built their technical development based on Python.
Learn Python: Top 10 Free Resources
There are plenty of free resources available online to learn Python
Check out the courses: Learn Python at Codecademy
2. Real Python
Check out Real Python here
Check out W3Schools Python
Here is the Python Tutorial at Tutorialspoint
Check out Python Programming at Programiz
Get to learnpython.org here
8. Google Python Class
Get to Google Python Class
Here is the link to CodingBat
Check out the Sololearn
Tips if you want to learn Python
Some general advice:
- Free resources online: Start with free Python resources online, they are great. In general, the online resources to learn Python programming, and computer programming in general, are endless. There’s always a tutorial, or blog explanation, that can help you. Then as you progress you can look at the paid resources.
- Take action: Your time and energy should be to start – to take action – not planning and spending too much time decide which resource to use. They majority are good, just pick the one that you think seems nice and you can’t go wrong, and if that would happen, just switch
- Learn by doing. Programming is about solving problems, and the code is your toolbox to solve a problem. To learn how to use that toolbox you must practice, practice and practice, not only watching others do it. So don’t just watch videos and do quizzes, the sooner you start playing with the code, the faster you will learn the given concepts. For example, I had my own project that I used when I learned Python. It was a simple (very simple) game in Python, it was a great way for me to learn Python programming
- Start with fundamentals: Programming fundamentals always need to come first. The better you understand them, the easier it is to learn the more advanced concepts
Top 10 Popular Python libraries
In Python, a library is a collection of modules that include pre-written code to assist with common tasks. The most popular Python libraries include
Let’s have a short introduction to them. If you want to have a more thorough walkthrough of these libraries, check out our post: Top 10 Python Libraries to Learn and Use
If you want to have a more thorough walkthrough of these libraries, check out our post: Top 10 Python Libraries to Learn and Use
FAQ: Python programming
Why learn Python?
6 reasons to learn Python programming:
1. Python is Easy to learn and Beginner-friendly
2. Python is versatile and has multiple uses
3. Python has a huge collection of libraries
4. Pythons is the fastest growing programming language
5. Python has a active community
6. Python developers are in-demand
Is Python good for data science?
Why is Python so popular in Data Science?
Python is distinguished from other programming languages by its simplicity, readability, support, community, and popularity, as well as the libraries available for data cleansing, visualisation, and machine learning.
Is Python data science in demand?
Data Science is growing rapidly, and according to IBM, this growth will continue to be strong for years to come. In addition, Python appears in almost 80% of all job postings with the title of “Data Scientist” (Source: Towardsdatascience)
Therefore, it’s safe to assume that Python and Data Science are both in high demand.